Wednesday, January 18, 2012


                                          Joy and Sorrow

I have been taught that in our grieving process, we have to accept our grief as part of our journey, not something we want to “get rid of” or “over.” On many days, I experience both blessings and “grief bursts.” I often call it my “roller coaster ride.” (I don’t like roller coasters, though)

I saw this poem about having two boxes. The main message to me was of God’s participation in helping walk through this journey. It is important to identify joy and sorrow, and give praise and thanksgiving to Him for the blessings and His promise that "He will never leave me, nor forsake me.” We can’t let go of what has caused the sorrow until we face it and grieve over it, otherwise we are “stuffing it” and it will eventually erupt in another place, because we were not built spiritually or emotionally to carry our burdens. 
Perhaps my two boxes are my prayer box and my prayer journal. I have a prayer box, that I put my prayer requests and concerns on individual pieces of paper. I have a prayer journal, that I write down everything I want to say to God after reading His Word each day. 
I found this poem on this website: 
TWO BOXES - Limin Hong
I have in my hands two boxes,
which God gave me to hold.
He said, "put all your sorrows in the black,
and all your joys in the gold.

I heeded his words, and in the two boxes,
both my joys and sorrows I store.
But though the gold became heavier each day,
the black was as light as before.

With curiosity I opened the black,
I wanted to find out why.
And I saw in the base of the box a hole,
which my sorrows had fallen out by.

I showed the hole to God, and mused aloud,
I wonder where my sorrows could be.
He smiled a gentle smile at me,
my child they're all here with me.

I asked, "God, why give me the boxes,
why the gold and black with the hole?"
"My child, the gold is for you to count your blessings,
the black is for you to let go."

I will continue to choose an attitude of gratitude for all of the journey, holding tightly to God's hand and reaching out for others on a similar journey.


 7Casting the [a]whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, [b]once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you [c]watchfully. 
1 Peter 5:7 Amplified Bible

Your sister in Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment